Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Baby Snack does not approve

This evening I decided to put some henna and indigo on my hair, which is becoming ridiculously long and a bit of a nuisance. I haven't done this since high school, but I'm fairly sure nothing drastic (!) will happen. This process requires keeping green oozing mud on my head for approximately four hours, under a Saran Wrap turban.

This situation served as yet another example of why the Baby Snack is such a bizarre animal. When I came out of the bathroom, squishy green turban in place, she immediately sprang up a throaty yowl (from a stack of recently hand-washed sweaters, though this is not strictly relevant) and cowered under the table. Then she spent twenty minutes slinking around the apartment, apparently overwhelmed with fear at the opportunistic alien creature camped out on my head. Every time I looked at her, she would freeze and flatten herself to the floor with a frightened chirp, tail lashing. I felt like I was being stalked...it doesn't take much for her to turn off the domesticated body language entirely. Finally, she started sneaking up on the table behind me and examining my head with with exaggerated sniffs, which eventually led to her pawing at my head while growling. Any move on my part led to a frantic (yet silent!!) dash to the kitchen and a repeat of the entire cycle.

I'm not sure that this is really an argument for "exotic" animals, but she definitely has a kind of preternatural awareness which manifests at amusing moments. My obvious tendencies for anthropomorphism aside, she seems genuinely concerned for me.

Meanwhile, Bun Bun is comatose in her box and completely unperturbed.

However, I DO NOT TALK TO MY PLANTS.

No comments: