Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Baking soothes me

Despite a computer crash, I managed to return to some semblance of productivity this evening. I'm doing some simulations which are long enough to make sitting at the computer boring but not so long that I let them run overnight (my favorite kind)...so, I decided to do some cooking while I was waiting. The cooking/computing combination always entertains me, and somehow this weekend went by without me doing my normal cook-for-the-week marathon.



Frozen bananas kept falling out of my freezer every time I opened the door, so I took the hint and put together some banana bread with fresh ginger and maple syrup, baked in some lovely French pans from my mother (arrived as an early birthday gift). I also made a pureed carrot and sweet potato soup with coconut milk and (again!) fresh ginger + coriander.

Another excellent sweet potato recipe: pre-concert on Saturday, I made samosa-esque items using puff pastry stuffed with tomato/eggplant/hot chili/sweet potato/onion/garlic along with a lone andouillie chicken sausage that was futilely trying to escape notice behind some condiments. Kalina and I ate the result with tzatziki and hopefully I will remember to make them again in the future, because they were shockingly good (I really had my suspicions).

No comments: