Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Annoyance-free



Today I was idly wondering if it would be possible (as in "practical" and "actually will occur", not "possible with gritted teeth and flailing google searches") to monitor my reinvigorated Tower of Power computer while I am in New York.  An aside: it is more than reinvigorated; with the technical expertise of Luke, it has been REBORN and baptized in a raging sea of amphetamines and steroids! It is highly impressive and a joy to use, and it simply gallops through my simulations... Now just you wait until I get the Parallel Computing Toolbox for Matlab to take full advantage of my quad-core processor...a reckoning is nigh!

Anyway, I ended up using a free remote access program from Teamviewer.com and I was stunned at how easy it was to set up.  Normally I have a very low irritation threshold for this type of thing (and wouldn't be caught dead ranting about it after midnight) but I was controlling my giant computer from my tiny laptop within three minutes of going to the website (I did actually time this)....including figuring out which version I needed, different downloads and installations to two computers, figuring out how to make stuff go.   And completely free...don't be alarmed by the zombie seductress lady on the homepage, she's just being helpful, not trying to eat your soul. The predatory gleam in her eye is merely an innate desire to assist! 

I'm probably years behind in the area, but this was certainly a bright spot in my evening.



No comments: