Sunday, June 1, 2008

Epic walking II











After the Olympicpark we realized that we were starving and shockingly, even though it was nearly 1 pm, had not had any alcohol!To remedy the situation, we stopped by the Hirschgarten Biergarten and had a very filling lunch involving goulash and Obartza, a Bavarian specialty involving strong cheese mashed with butter and paprika (to our horrified amazement, served approximately by the quart). And naturally some beer, although I didn't garner much respect when I got a small Pilsner (termed a diminutive "ein Bierchen fur die junge Dame" by our Lederhosen-clad waiter). The beer above is not mine. Prior to walking for hours in the sun, I had no particular interest in going to a Biergarten, but I now understand the appeal. The atmosphere is friendly and casual; many people bring their own food, along with children and pets, and we also saw people with laptops having business meetings or working. Sadly, I'm not sure how the Matlab programming or dissertation writing would work out in the Biergarten surroundings, especially in an Obartza-induced food coma.

No comments: