Monday, June 2, 2008

The sausage was fluffy

Today, I went into Alex's lab, which is housed in an old villa/palace just on the edge of the Englischer Garten. The setting is just as pleasant and tranquil as it sounds, so I think it will be easy to get work done...also, for those who care about electrophysiology equipment, the lab itself is quite exciting. I also went to a seminar by Jean Livet, a molecular biologist who has developed a way to breed mice with neurons that express different combinations of fluorescent proteins over a wide range of colors, appropriately dubbed the "Brainbow" mouse. Aside from making outstanding images, this technique makes it possible to visualize and disambiguate intricate connections in populations of neurons. Two married faculty members (Leanne and Thomas, for future reference) from my course at Woods Hole are also here in Munich, and happened to be old friends with the speaker, so naturally I found myself going to another Biergarten later in the evening (unfortunately without my camera). Leanne suggested I try a Radler, which is a refreshing mix of lemonade and beer (not nearly as disturbing as the banana juice and beer option!), and we all shared some roasted trout, random meat product, and potatoes. My jet-lagged appetite returned, so I committed another Biergarten crime by eating a Weisswurst in the evening. Random internet research had informed me that these sausages are normally eaten in the morning, but I justified my decision by saying that that it was really breakfast time in Seattle. In any case, it was delicious (and surprisingly light and fluffy)... despite my companions' attempts to disgust me by providing ingredient details.

No comments: