Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"Ve Verk Verk Verk"

"Werk" is actually "factory" (Kraftwerk = powerplant) but with my pidgin German tendencies, I've repurposed it to mean the more obvious "work." Luckily Alex finds this as funny as I do (and in fact now uses the phrase). So that's what today was all about. I also managed to find my way to a open-air market somewhat nearby, although it was a bit of a walk without a replacement for the "Scheisse bicycle" abandoned in Heidelberg. I managed to buy some fish and duck breast and then find my way to another less quaint grocery store (in the basement of a department store) for other necessities. This solo wandering without adequate German skills was a little tiring...I always forget how exhausting it is to plan every minor conversation, and how stressful it is to feel like you constantly come across as incompetent and/or rude.

However, the broiled fish dinner was worth it.

Correction: according to my handsome (and precise) host, "Verk" entered the lexicon because I was imitating his accent. So I guess my cruelty is no longer a secret, if it ever was.

No comments: